Friday 6 December 2013

Anna's Hummingbird is still in Thunder Bay

This is a general request to readers of this blog who may be interested in seeing the continuing Anna's Hummingbird in Thunder Bay. The bird was seen by a visiting southern Ontario yesterday, though I haven't heard if it has been seen today. It has been very reliable so far!

I am contemplating driving the 14+ hours to Thunder Bay and back to see the bird, leaving sometime tomorrow, seeing the bird Sunday, and then driving back home. It will be the ultimate "tick and run" type of a trip - not much spare time for other birding other than seeing the hummingbird. The only problem is that I don't want to spend 400$ to see one bird, and am hoping to split it 3 or 4 ways instead. I also don't want to take my own vehicle and will likely rent instead. So if you are interested, send me an email! joshvandermeulen@live.ca

1 comment:

Brent Turcotte said...

That would be an insanely long drive and costly drive. The furthest I ever drive to look for a reported bird is 30 minutes. The rarest bird I have twiched was the White-winged Dove seen in North Bay last year. It was but five minutes from where I live. So the cost of trying three times before finding it wasn't big. Furthermore, if an area is more than five hours away I seek shelter of some kind -- camping or visiting a friends place.