Friday 1 February 2013

2012 big year presentation this week!

I have teemed up with Murray Shields from Authentic Canadian Tours, who is organizing an event about my 2012 Big Year attempt. The evening will be this upcoming Wednesday, February 6, and the event will be held downstairs in the Boston Pizza in the Yonge/Sheppard Centre in North York.

What will the evening consist of, you may ask?
It begins at 7:00 PM with an informal "meet and greet". I will do a presentation that begins around 7:45 and will last just over an hour (with a break halfway through). Afterwards, there will be a question and answer period.

The cost will be 10$ at the door and please RSVP ahead of time if you are planning on attending. There are limited spots.

I can assure you that the presentation will be pretty awesome (if I do say so myself), and I'm looking forward to it! There will be lots of "behind the scenes" stories that I did not elaborate about on my blog throughout my big year attempt ;)

Please contact either Murray (murray@authenticcanadiantours.ca) or I (joshvandermeulen@live.ca) if you are interested in attending, or have any questions.


-----------------------------------------------------

In other news, I am heading down to Point Pelee for the weekend. Why the heck would I do something crazy like spend 2 or 3 days birding Pelee in February, when there's not much around? Well I have never actually been to the park in February so I am curious as to what the bird life consists of this time of year. Plus I have a funny feeling that with the wacky weather we have been having, something interesting might be around. Yes, the chances of a rarity lurking in the Pelee area undetected are about 100x less likely in February than in May, but I am still going to do my best to find one! If a White-winged Dove can show up at Rondeau, what's preventing something that rare from being at Pelee? At the very least I am hoping to add one or two new Pelee birds. Leading candidates include Iceland Gull, Glaucous Gull, Northern Shrike, Snow Goose, Hoary Redpoll, or maybe if I'm really lucky Pine Grosbeak, Bohemian Waxwing, or King Eider.

I'll post updates in the evenings if I see anything cool (unlikely as it may be).

No comments: