Sunday 10 July 2011

Tilbury tonight

On a whim I took advantage of the hour or two of light I had left this evening and drove down to Tilbury. Lots of birds were present, but only a few shorebirds. They were:
Killdeer - 40+
Spotted Sandpiper - 30+
Least Sandpiper - 9
Lesser Yellowlegs - 5
Pectoral Sandpiper - 2 (first of fall for me)
Solitary Sandpiper - 1

Also around were a few Great Egrets, 4 Caspian Terns, 2 Chimney Swifts (my first for Tilbury), Great Egrets, Black-crowned Night Herons, etc. Looks good for a rare heron soon! I checked the back of the lagoons and had many marsh wrens calling. No luck playing tapes for rails.

Check out this Black-crowned Night-Heron - a plumage I haven't really seen before. 1st summer or 2nd summer? Excuse the photo quality - digiscoping around sunset is not really a recipe for great photos...

No comments: