Saturday 12 May 2012

Its been almost a week since my last blog post, the longest stretch I've had since starting the blog a year ago. I have been birding all day every day, and combined with not having internet, the blog gets neglected! Once I return from Pelee at the end of May and birding slows down ill start to post some of the photos from this spring. Birding has been OK - usually one or two good birds a day, but few individual birds and no megas. I had a stretch of 12 consecutive days with a really good bird, but that ended today. Some quick highlights: twitching a blue grosbeak with Brett and Barb in Goderich, American Avocet, Baird's Sandpiper, and Marbled Godwit at Hillman, and some self found "lesser" rarities in Western Meadowlark, Kentucky Warbler (along with 32 other species), and Summer Tanager. I've added 18 year birds in the past week, bringing me up to 287 for the year. Its been really slow for this time of year rarity wise in the province, but its starting to pick up!I have heard reports of Little Blue and Tricolored Herons, White and White-faced Ibises, Cattle Egrets, etc. I would really like to find a rare heron soon!Judging by the mix of birds in the park there are still a ton to come through. If we get some systems moving through it could get crazy. Off to bed...

3 comments:

Alan Wormington said...

What's the deal with this Baird's Sandpiper? I have never seen one at Point Pelee during spring migration!

Fred said...

What's the deal with the Sleepy Oranges? I have never seen one at Point
Pelee during spring migration.

Alan Wormington said...

Fred, that's because you are never at Point Pelee anymore!