Tuesday 1 May 2012

May 1 highlights

Another short mobile blog post... As I walked down to the tip before dawn, I had about 10 species of warblers and I knew it would be a good day! A highlight for me was an Upland Sandpiper that flew over Alan and I as we walked the west beach trail. While not a year bird, it was a new Pelee bird for me and a great spring Pelee record. We had our first of year Grasshopper Sparrow here as well. Other highlights: -6 Blue-winged, 2 Orange-crowned, 1 Bay-breasted, 1 Cape May, 1 Golden-winged and 1 female Hooded Warbler -lots of dowitchers and 7 Willets at Hillman -4 Yellow-throated and 1 White-eyed Vireo -the continuing Eared Grebe at the tip I finished with about 120 species for the day, while missing some easy ones like Rock Pigeon, Black-capped Chickadee, House Finch, etc. 16 of them were year birds, bringing me up to 247. I'm really hoping to hit 300 by the time I leave Pelee. The forecast for tomorrow looks great! Maybe a rarity or two will be around...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

By the way I don't know why the formatting is screwed...guess it doesn't want me to use paragraphs when I type on my phone...

Blake A. Mann said...

A good mix of birds!
It gets better day by day.