Sunday 9 September 2012

Rarer than a Thick-billed Kingbird?`(hint: KELP GULL)

I just saw this posted on Ontbirds by Alan Wormington...

Apparent **KELP GULL** at Wheatley Harbour

Yes, you read that right! Read the whole email here. I haven`t seen the photos yet but apparently they are good for it being a Kelp Gull! This would obviously be a first for Ontario! The first North American record was from 1989 in Louisiana, where it was eventually found to be breeding. I am not sure if there are any records closer to Ontario than the Louisiana ones.

Great find by Alan! He saw it on Friday, took some photos, and saw it again on Sunday on the rocks at Wheatley harbour. Lots of photos taken apparently.

I am in Nova Scotia still and flying back Tuesday evening. If all goes well I know where I will be Wednesday morning.

9 comments:

Gavin Platt said...

There was one in Maryland for a long time (1999-2005 at least). Indiana has a record (from Lake Michigan). Not sure about any others from the northeast. Great record for Ontario, I hope it sticks around!

Alan Wormington said...

Josh if you miss this bird I will be very sad!

Fred said...

http://www.martinreid.com/Gull%20website/gullmystKELP.html

Fred said...

http://www.tertial.us/gulls/domi4.htm

Brandon Holden said...

I think there are records (as mentioned) from Texas, Maryland, Indiana, Colorado, Louisiana and Florida... So more of a pattern than Thick-billed Kingbird, but would obviously be extremely rare!

Anonymous said...

Interesting...didn't know there were so many records! Regardless not one I really had on the radar for Ontario...

Ryan Harvey said...

do any birding out here in NS Josh?

Ken Burrell said...

Why are you in NS again?.......jk

Anonymous said...

Hey Ryan,
Not a whole lot but I did find a Bicknell's Thrush (a migrant). No other real highlights