Wednesday 29 December 2021

2021 Part 3: June through September

I have divided the summer months into two posts; the first documenting the birds, herps and insects found during diurnal excursions, and the second regarding the moths and other night life. 


June

In late May I began a work contract with a consulting company that continued through the rest of the summer. I mostly worked in various locations in southern Ontario from Windsor eastwards to Belleville, with an occasional jaunt northwards. 

Apart from work surveys my birding was rather limited as I focused most of my energy on insects during this productive time of year. Laura and I ventured north to the Carden Alvar area for a weekend in mid-June, finding a nice variety of birds including Laura's first Loggerhead Shrikes and Grasshopper Sparrows.  The other notable bird was a Yellow-breasted Chat that appeared to be on territory in Bronte Creek Provincial Park which I caught up with one day after work. 

During that aforementioned Carden Alvar trip, Laura and I swung over to the Gravenhurst area and visited one of my favourite locations in Ontario in search of herps. As you can see, it was a successful venture! Speaking of herps, I finally connected with my first Butler's Gartersnakes from the easternmost population, which I had wanted to see for some time. 

Towards the end of the month I was invited to join the first ever Jack Miner Bioblitz near Kingsville, Essex County. I explored with a few other keen naturalists including Pauline Catling and Quinten Wiegersma and made it my goal to document 400 species during the 24 hour time period. Though the windy, cool weather put a damper on things, I ultimately met my goal and had an awesome time nerding out with like-minded individuals.   

Chryxus Arctic (Oeneis chryxus) - Whitney, Nipissing, Ontario

Butler's Gartersnake - Dufferin County, Ontario

Elfin Skimmer (Nannothemis bella) - Bracebridge, Muskoka, Ontario

Yellow-breasted Chat - Bronte Creek Provincial Park, Halton, Ontario

Five-lined Skink - Muskoka, Ontario

Milksnake - Muskoka, Ontario

Dekay's Brownsnake - Muskoka, Ontario

Eastern Massasauga - Muskoka, Ontario

Eastern Massasauga - Muskoka, Ontario

Wilson's Snipe - Carden Alvar, Kawartha Lakes, Ontario

Spotted Thyris Moth (Thyris maculata) - Carden Alvar, Kawartha Lakes, Ontario

Mustard White (Pieris oleracea) - Carden Alvar, Kawartha Lakes, Ontario

Nerding out on the Jack Miner Bioblitz (photo by Steve Pike)

Artomyces pyxidatus - Kingsville, Essex, Ontario

Laphria sericea complex - Kingsville, Essex, Ontario

Euaresta bella - Kingsville, Essex, Ontario

Raspberry Leafroller Moth (Olethreutes permundana) - Kingsville, Essex, Ontario

Pawpaw (Asimina triloba) - Kingsville, Essex, Ontario


July 

July was a busy month since I was completing long hours in the field and mothing in the evenings whenever I had an opportunity. Work sometimes brought me to some neat areas, though! 

Laura and I found an unusual sparrow during a visit to Fletcher Creek in southern Wellington County which we later determined to be a hybrid Field x Clay-colored Sparrow. I returned with Dan Riley to properly document it as well as search for certain butterflies that occupy the unique wetland habitats here. 

I have always been interested in butterflies and 2021 gave me the opportunity to search for several species which I hadn't seen before. I succeeded with long-overdue Dion Skippers at Sandy Lake Road (north of Havelock), while I saw my first Gorgone Checkerspot caterpillars that Dan Riley had discovered at a site in eastern Ontario. If time permits I would love to return to the site in 2022 to try to find some adults. 

Several rare birds in Norfolk County enticed me to drive down for an evening and combine the birding with an evening of mothing at St. Williams. I will touch on the moths in a later post, but the birding was also successful as I connected with a flock of Black-bellied Whistling-Ducks in Port Dover and a Blue Grosbeak at Backus Woods. I also swung down to St. Catharines one afternoon to chase a Yellow-crowned Night-Heron, one of the few records for Niagara Region.

Epicauta murina - Fletcher Creek Ecological Preserve, Wellington, Ontario

Broad-winged Skipper (Poanes viator) - Fletcher Creek Ecological Preserve, Wellington, Ontario

Clay-colored x Field Sparrow - Fletcher Creek Ecological Preserve, Wellington, Ontario

Lesser Purple Fringed Orchid (Platanthera psycodes) - Sudden Tract, Waterloo, Ontario

Upland Sandpiper - Carden Alvar, Kawartha Lakes, Ontario

Clouded Sulphur (Colias philodice) - Carden Alvar, Kawartha Lakes, Ontario

Great Spangled Fritillary (Speyeria cybele) - Carden Alvar, Kawartha Lakes, Ontario

Acadian Hairstreak (Satyrium acadica) - Carden Alvar, Kawartha Lakes, Ontario

Tricolored Bumble Bee (Bombus ternarius) - Sandy Lake Road, Peterborough, Ontario

Striped Hairstreak (Satyrium liparops) - Sandy Lake Road, Peterborough, Ontario

Coral Hairstreak (Satyrium titus) - Sandy Lake Road, Peterborough, Ontario

Dion Skipper (Euphyes dion) - Sandy Lake Road, Peterborough, Ontario

Dogbane Leaf Beetle (Chrysochus auratus) - Sandy Lake Road, Peterborough, Ontario

Gorgone Checkerspot (Chlosyne gorgone) caterpillars - Lennox and Addington, Ontario

Black-bellied Whistling-Ducks - Port Dover, Norfolk, Ontario

Black-bellied Whistling-Ducks - Port Dover, Norfolk, Ontario

Blue Grosbeak - Backus Woods, Norfolk, Ontario

Anacampsis nonstrigella - Turner Tract, Halton, Ontario

Appalachian Brown (Lethe appalachia) - Turner Tract, Halton, Ontario

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron - St. Catharines, Niagara, Ontario


August

In mid-August I visited my friend Russ Jones in Amherstburg and spent an evening and morning exploring his amazing backyard which he has turned into a tallgrass prairie oasis. While the mothing was good (stay tuned), we also wandered around the garden during daylight hours. I was most impressed with the attractive Red-headed Bush-Crickets, a species unknown from Canada until Russ found them on his property several years ago. Since I was in the area, I also joined Jeremy Bensette and Steve Pike for an excellent paddle in the Pelee marsh where we found a crisp juvenile Red Knot. 

In late August, Dan Riley, Nikki Huculiak and I drove north to Algonquin Provincial Park to look for Common Branded Skippers and Leonard's Skippers in the Old Airfield. We found both our targets, but perhaps more interesting were the several Dark Grass-Veneers (Crambus hamella) sharing the same habitat. This is a rare species that has only been documented a handful of times in Ontario. 

In late August I ventured down the QEW to Niagara Falls for another bird twitch. This time it was for a Black-bellied Whistling-Duck at Dufferin Islands, a species which had never been documented before in Niagara prior to 2021. As I write this, the whistling-duck is still frequenting the same location!

Red-headed Bush Cricket (Phyllopalpus pulchellus) - Amherstburg, Essex, Ontario

Red Knot - Point Pelee National Park, Essex, Ontario

Common Branded Skipper (Hesperia comma) - Algonquin Provincial Park, Nipissing, Ontario

Pearly-winged Lichen Moth (Crambidia casta) - Algonquin Provincial Park, Nipissing, Ontario

Dark Grass-Veneer (Crambus hamella) - Algonquin Provincial Park, Nipissing, Ontario

Leonard's Skipper (Hesperia leonardus) - Algonquin Provincial Park, Nipissing, Ontario

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck - Niagara Falls, Niagara, Ontario

Bembix pallidipicta - St. William's Conservation Reserve, Norfolk, Ontario

Festive Tiger Beetle (Cicindela scutellaris) - St. William's Conservation Reserve, Norfolk, Ontario


September

Another month, another rarity to chase in Niagara! This time, I was off to find a Loggerhead Shrike that had been discovered at the end of the Port Weller east pier, which was my "local patch" when I lived in Niagara. Interestingly, this bird had a radio antenna and was eventually determined to be part of the Carden Alvar Loggerhead Shrike recovery program. 

With my work contract all finished I had a bit more free time for naturalizing. Again, moths took up the bulk of my energy but I also enjoyed a weekend to Point Pelee. Jeremy Bensette and geeked out looking mainly for plants and bugs. I finally took the time to see some endangered Red Mulberry trees.

After a year and a half in limbo Laura and I made the decision to continue with our travels in Latin America and we booked two tickets to Panama City, departing on September 23. We were excited!

Loggerhead Shrike - Port Weller east pier, Niagara, Ontario

Green Frogs - Point Pelee National Park, Essex, Ontario

Red Mulberry - Point Pelee National Park, Essex, Ontario

Antlered Flutter Fly (Toxonevra superba) - Queenston, Niagara, Ontario

No comments: