Wednesday 25 May 2011

Pelee yesterday

I was on the road by 5:30, and by 6:15 I arrived at the Hillman marsh parking lot. The birding here was good as usual - almost immediately I picked out a Western Sandpiper among the semis and leasts. Nice! There was also a White-rumped Sandpiper present, but it was difficult to study the birds because they kept flushing and flying around for a few minutes. At around 6:35, all but a few Black-bellied Plovers left. On to Pelee.

I was hoping for a bit of a Whimbrel flight but alas that was not to be. I met with with Sarah Rupert and we did a bit of a tip watch. A single Whimbrel flew in, circled, and left about 4 times. At least one of those times it touched down on the beach not far from us for a few brief moments! Sarah had a Red Knot fly by that I just caught a glimpse of, and that was about it for shorebirds.
A bit of a reverse migration was happening in the morning. Nothing unusual, but an Acadian Flycatcher perched on the very last bush on the peninsula, before flying out over the lake. Also, at least 4 Red-headed Woodpeckers and many Chimney Swifts. 

Walking back to the tram stop, there were still a few good Passerines around. Many MANY Blackpolls, a Canada, and about 8 other species of warblers. I finally picked up alder flycatcher for the year too.

Laura had to get up early for work today so my plan was to wake up with her and head to the Blenheim/Erieau to do a bit of birding. Well, that plan obviously failed as I am sitting in my bed after just waking up....

No comments: