Saturday 4 January 2020

A Brief Layover in Ontario

We left Nova Scotia on Nova 3 with our next destination being Bogotá, Colombia. When booking our flights, we were thrilled to see that it was much cheaper if we included a long layover in Toronto. This was convenient as it allowed us to leave our big packs at my parent's place, visit Nova Scotia with only a carry-on, and have 24 hours back at my parent's place before we flew out to Colombia.

My dad picked us up yesterday afternoon and we made our way through rush-hour traffic back to Cambridge. We spotted a nice surprise on the drive - a Snowy Owl near the Hurontario Rd exit. This may be the only Snowy Owl I see this year!

This morning we enjoyed a nice walk over a fresh layer of powdery snow that had fallen overnight. This may be the last snow that we see for a while. I have to say, winter is a lot more tolerable when it comes in small doses! I added a few more year birds, highlighted by a Common Redpoll that flew over, calling. I am up to 56 bird species for the year now.

Franklin Pond - Cambridge, Ontario, Canada

We are currently at Pearson Airport in Toronto, waiting for our flight to Bogotá. Tomorrow morning if all goes to plan we will pick up our rental car and hit the road! First up will be some areas south of Bogotá, including Chicaque and Sumapaz, locations that both of us have not visited previously. I have a small list of target species that includes Golden-bellied Starfrontlet, Moustached Brushfinch, Bronze-tailed Thornbill, Green-bearded Helmetcrest and Apolinar's Wren. From there we will work our way east and into the lowlands. The year birds should be coming in hot and heavy soon!


(By the way, I just realized that any comments on my blog for the last eight months or so have gone into a spam folder and I didn't realize it. I have approved them all now. So if you commented on a post, and did not see it posted or here from me, that would be why! Sorry!)

No comments: