Friday 3 January 2020

A "mini" World Big Year? Day 1 - Nova Scotia

2020 is shaping up to be a big year for Laura and I when it comes to travel. We are hoping to spend the majority of 2020 in various locations in Central and South America, with plans to visit Colombia, Costa Rica, Peru, Argentina and Chile - though of course, our plans are fluid and the destinations may change. As well, I am scheduled to lead a few tours for Quest Nature Tours, namely Colombia in January/February, Spain in April and Borneo in October. I am also planning on spending several months in Ontario from May through early July.

Since I may never have a year with quite so much travel ever again, I thought that I would attempt a mini "World Big Year". Back in 2015, Noah Strycker set out on a goal to see as many bird species in the world in one calendar year, starting in Antarctica and backpacking up through the Americas, flying to Europe, traveling down through Africa and into Asia and Australia. He finished with 6,042 species out of the approximately 10,400 bird species currently known. If you haven't already - I recommend reading his book "Birding without Borders".

The following year, Arjan Dwarshuis, a Dutch birder, followed a tweaked version of Noah's route and established a new record of 6852 species (though this was using a more progressive taxonomy - his number is likely a few hundred less when using the same taxonomy that Noah used).

Obviously Arjan's record is far out of reach for me and I have no plans on even seeing half as many species as he did. I am not designing my year purely to see as many bird species as possible. And birds will not be my only focus when traveling - many other aspects of nature vie for my attention when I'm "in the field". But since Laura and I will be visiting so many places, I figured I might as well make a concerted effort to find "year birds" wherever we are!

Peggy's Cove, Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia

For the first three days of the year we were based in Nova Scotia to enjoy the last few days of our Christmas holidays before we fly to Colombia. Other than a few days at the end of the year, this may be my only chance to go birding during winter in the north and so I arranged to take the car for a day of birding on New Years Day.

There were certain species that were on my wish list for the day. These included birds that I may not have another shot at this year, especially if I do not make it back to Nova Scotia before the end of December. These included alcids, Black-legged Kittiwake, Northern Gannet, Lark Bunting (a long-staying "stake-out" bird), Barrow's Goldeneye, Harlequin Duck and both eiders, among a few others.

The day was more or a less a success with many great birds found, though you have to excuse my lack of photos. I left my camera back in Ontario, where we have a 24 hour layover before flying south to Colombia.

I dipped on the Lark Bunting - though nearby I found a flock of Purple Sandpipers. The other big dip was a King Eider that had been present the two previous days near Halifax. But otherwise, I had a lot of success. I successfully chased a Western Willet (not a bird I particularly "needed" since I'll be in Ontario in May, but a fun bird to observe in January in Nova Scotia). Peggy's Cove was good to me, providing a Razorbill, Black Guillemot, Black-legged Kittiwake and Harlequin Ducks. Chebucto Head also came through late in the afternoon with a Ring-necked Pheasant, more kittiwakes and a bonus Thick-billed Murre. A warm breeze wafted by as the golden afternoon rays of the sun lit up the birds on the water. As the sun set I watched a female Barrow's Goldeneye in the Bedford Basin.

Chebucto Head, Halfax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia


When it was all said and done I had 51 species on my list - a solid start. Happy new year, everyone!

No comments: